BY APOLLO N. MAKUBUYA
ON 20th February 2020 The Daily Monitor ran a one sided story amplifying the false claims of land grabbing by a one Matia Lubega in a suit against Owek. Kiwalabye Male, Buganda Land Board and myself (Owek. Apollo Nelson Makubuya)
I did not steal or grab Mr Lubega’s land. I have filed a robust defense in the Court. Buganda Land Board has similarly filed a defense dismissing his spurious claims.
The brief facts are as:
1. In 2004 the Kabaka leased land in Block 268 Plot 485 at Lubowa to one Eriya Kabiswa.
2. In 2008 I bought the said land from Eriya Kabiswa and I became the owner with a lease from the Kabaka of Buganda. This was not an allocation of land to me by the Kabaka.
3. Mr. Lubega has never occupied, been gifted or granted a lease on Block 268 Plot 275 at Lubowa. He has no document to show he was given the said land by the Kabaka.
4. When I purchased the land I had no idea of Mr. Lubega’s claims.
5. It is surprising Mr Lubega has waited since 2004 (16 years now)to claim that his land was stolen.
6. Mr Lubega alleges that I used my position to acquire his land. This is false. I have asked my lawyers to seek punitive damages against Mr. Lubega for his bogus accusations.
7. The claims on social media that my undeveloped half acre plot is valued at Shs. 5.3 billion demonstrates both the falsehoods and the length at which some will go to tarnish others.
8. I have been constrained to make a public statement to counteract false information about the suit that is being peddled against me in the media by a person with ulterior motives.
The Writer is a senior counsel, Buganda Kingdom top official, Director Buganda Land Board and chief advisor to His Majesty the Kabaka of Buganda