KAMPALA Central legislator Muhammad Nsereko has warned that the adverse economic effects shall lead to self defeat of the principle of minimizing social contact as the best way to contain the spread of the corona virus.
In a statement released today morning, the Kampala Central business district MP thanked President Museveni and Ministry of Health officials for the job so far in a fight against Covid-19, “However the country needs both health and economic solutions to stop the spread of the CORVID 19 virus.”
“First I warned that the 100 dollars for quarantine was very expensive and would expose the deep rooted corruption and lack of patriotism amongst some elements in our institutions. Secondly I insist, the economic effects shall lead to self defeat of the spread of this Pandemic.” Noted MP Nsereko.
He said, “My suggestion is that Government undertakes A FIVE (5) plan solution economically to avert yet another crisis and boost confidence for people to stay home.”
HON. NSEREKO GIVES GOV’T A 5-PLAN ECONOMIC SOLUTION
- Suspend payment of rent and evictions. This can be done by His Exellence the President signing into law the landlord and tenant bill that parliament passed. This shall in effect cover both commercial and residential tenants. In return land lords can be exempt from payment of rental income tax this financial year. This shall save 7 million tenants both commercial and residential level from unnecessary disruption.
- By asking all utility companies to suspend charges for all bills like water and power for the next 120 days. In return the debts due to government companies be offset to the equivalent for example power UMEME. As for National water and sewerage corporation. It’s fully owned by government and should comply.
- Central bank must suspend all interests payable on all loans just like all governments internationally have started negotiating with their creditors. In effect all interest payments are frozen for 180 days. This shall reduce pressure on landlords and business owners, small, medium and big and in return shall keep people on jobs and avert the catastrophe of unemployment. For example with closure of borders over 50,000 people shall loose jobs directly and indirectly.
- Government should consider the option of people partially accessing their NSSF savings by between 10 to 30 percent depending on their amounts available. This shall enable workers stay home with the comfort that they have an option to access their savings and feed their families. The justification is that if NSSF could lend Bank Of Uganda 7 trillion by buying its treasury bills, why not lend or give those that save with it during such a crisis.
- Government should avail rapid testing kits to make work of diagnosis easier and effective.Additionally also provide an extra allowance to the medical and health practitioners from ambulance drivers, Nurses, Doctors, Laboratory Assistants etc as a motivation to work harder , save lives but also know that we care that they put their lives on the line first.